Saturday, May 11, 2013

Heading to Scottsdale


As I write these words, I am presently flying somewhere over the Midwest on my way to Scottsdale, Arizona. I did not anticipate this trip to the Mayo Clinic, but God surely did. And He has gone before me and ordered each step. For years, my grandfather has encouraged me to go to Mayo in Rochester, Minnesota, but I just didn’t feel it was the right time to travel somewhere else while I continued working with Hopkins. It has been almost two years since I had to move to feeding tubes and TPN and almost 12 years since my health struggles first began. A few months ago, I began considering whether it was time for me to look for additional medical help at Mayo or elsewhere and thought the Jacksonville, Florida Mayo Clinic might be the easiest of the three, but I wasn’t sure if it was the best medical fit for my situation or not. And now, through an amazing chain of events, I find myself headed to Scottsdale.

How did this happen? A doctor friend spoke very highly of the GI motility doctors at Mayo in Scottsdale and kindly talked with them about my condition. This past March I was able to get appointments with these doctors for this very week in May (it usually takes longer!). A kind friend from church offered to pay for my flight. Another friend began contacting friends in Arizona regarding help with housing and transportation. I was offered a place to stay with a wonderful family only ten minutes from the clinic! (They actually were active members of my church for over 20 years and had moved from Maryland to Arizona about six years ago, but I hadn’t kept in touch with them.) When I connected with them, I heard that they had recently been considering asking me if I wanted to come out to Mayo and stay with them but had thought to wait, knowing how many suggestions come my way. Then they heard I was actually looking to come! So God had already been making a way for me before I even knew it.

The final big piece was who could travel with me, prepare my TPN each night, and help me with daily needs. My parents both wanted to go, but the multiple needs at home between my handicapped brother, their own health, and more were just so great that it wasn’t going to work. We knew that if God wanted me to go, He was going to provide someone. A few days after it was determined my mom couldn’t go with me, another mom, Geri Carroll, offered to be my traveling companion. I was amazed once again at God’s specific care and provision for my needs. And it didn’t stop there! My church covered the cost of her flight, the Nam family offered us rides and the use of a car, and my dad helped me pull together all the medical records I needed to take.

I don’t know what God has in store for this week, and I wouldn’t be honest if I didn’t acknowledge that I’m afraid at times. Sitting for five hours on the plane is almost impossible with my pain, and I’m not excited about doing a ton of difficult tests or sharing my story again and again with new doctors. But God has said “this is the way, walk in it,” and so by His grace, I am seeking to do that. I am overwhelmed at the way each of you has sought to carry me in prayer and continue to help me fight and not give up. This road has been long and hard and oh so wearying, but we have a God Who never fails us. And He is greater than all. I am excited to see what He has in store this week. 

2 comments:

  1. praying my friend, that you will be greatly encouraged by God's hand this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope there's clarity and help awaiting you dear!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog