Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hopkins, Day Six Update

Dear friends,

There are many things for which to thank Him for today. I felt your prayers last night. It was difficult getting to sleep, but I noticed that the nurse and tech were more sensitive and did their best to stay out of my room as much as possible. I actually got little chunks of sleep during the second half of the night! :)

This morning, I got up to prepare myself for beginning the tube feeds, but the PICC team showed up and told me I had been bumped up in the queue, and they were ready to put in my line. This was a surprise but a good thing as well. After some back and forth regarding whether to get a single or double lumen, they got me under the sterile tent and began working. Last August, my line went in immediately, and things were very smooth, so I was hoping for a similar experience. Not to be...they had difficulty getting it to go in the first vein, so they moved to a second. That one failed as well. On the third try, it worked! I didn't enjoy getting stuck with Lidocaine three times, but there was grace, and they were so kind. The x-ray confirmed that placement was correct, and I now have a very sore left arm with a brand new PICC attached. My antibiotics, IV fluids, and electrolytes are now running through it.

The tube feeding was delayed due to the absence of an available pump and eventually began this afternoon. I started with a small amount of water for an hour or so and then moved to formula at a slower drip rate. The plan is to bump up my rate by 10 every six hours until I reach the goal rate of 40. During this time, they have to watch for refeeding syndrome (basically complications with electrolytes and other metabolic functions due to the reintroduction of food after a period of not eating). If I am functioning alright by the time I reach my goal rate then they will release me Monday. I will then have home care services which will help facilitate the antibiotics as well as tube feeds.

God's grace has truly been sufficient for each moment. Presently, I am especially in need of endurance and help for persevering with the formula and tube feeding. Even though the rate is quite slow right now, I am experiencing strong neurological and GI symptoms and find myself far weaker and unable to do as much as I could before this began running. (It is also a little unnerving to have four lines going into you at once.) :)

On the bright side, I was immensely blessed by a visit from dear Rhoda and Jane this afternoon. They brought me the cutest pair of socks (much nicer than the hospital ones), and we got to talk, read Scripture, and pray together. It was so sweet.

My parents came by for part of the afternoon, and my mom got me out of my room for a short bit. I didn't make it outside, but I caught a glimpse of the sun through the windows for the first time in a week. It was so beautiful.

A few other highlights...

This morning, one of the nurses who put in my PICC turned out to be a Christian, and we had a wonderful conversation. I was so encouraged to hear how God had worked in her family and transformed her marriage and so much else by His power and love. It was a beautiful story. She brought light into my day.

I had another sweet conversation with my tech this afternoon, and she reminded me that EVERYTHING happens for a reason and to never stop praying. It's always amazing to me how God sends people to remind me that He's still here just when I most need it.

This has been a long post, and I'm sorry for if it's there are too many details. You can always skip over whatever's too much. :)

It's not easy. I want it to end. I don't know what tonight holds. Or tomorrow. But I know Who walks with me, and that is enough. Thank you all for each and every prayer. He hears. And just think...so many of the things that happened this very day were the direct result of your prayers! All these blessings and strength in the difficult moments. Thank you.

----------------------------------
Let him who walks in darkness
and has no light
trust in the name of the Lord
and rely on his God. - Isaiah 50:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog