Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Health Update

It has been over a month since I've updated you all on my health progress, and I have some wonderful things to report. I know that these improvements are the direct result of your prayers. All glory belongs to the Lord for His faithfulness and for the healing that He is working in me, day by day.

Praise God that I…

…have been able to gain at least 16 pounds from my lowest point and half of this has taken place in the past month.

…have seen an incredible change in my overall strength and ability to function throughout the day.

…have experienced improvement with many of my digestive/GI symptoms.

…have been able to take in a growing number of calories each day and continue to eat dairy (although I've switched to goat rather than cow). =)

…haven't caught the flu or any other bugs that have been going around.

…my recent labwork continues to show a strengthening immune system and nothing else of concern.

…have been carried to this point by a God whose promises do not fail!

You can pray that I…

…would be able to tolerate treatment for the coinfections that come with the Lyme disease. I am beginning that treatment this Monday and could expect increased symptoms by the end of the week and following.

…would be given wisdom and help as I walk through the daily battle of figuring out what to eat and the best way to approach timing, portion sizes, etc. I love food, but it does grow burdensome when I try to encompass what is healthy, high in calories, digestible, and appetizing all at once.

…would find my system able to accept more foods and for help with particular symptoms such as slow emptying of the stomach, jittery/shaking that I've come to experience daily over the past month, and neurological symptoms that can be especially difficult to tolerate.

...would be able to get on a better schedule with meals and sleep and settle into a routine that works well, promotes healing, and is honoring to the Lord.

…would know peace and the renewal of my mind in God's truth. That I would not fear but would rest in my Father's care at all times and that my eyes would be fixed on Christ and not the waves.

…would be given increased faith as well as wisdom to know how God would have me spend the moments of each day.

I know each of you would be encouraged if you saw me now. You can visibly see the difference. My clothes are starting to fit a little better, and I can go up and down stairs again without help. God is bringing me out of the pit and setting my feet on solid ground, yet I can easily lose sight of how much He has done when faced with the daily ups and downs of symptoms and the battles that still must be fought. Certain symptoms can definitely be more difficult to endure, but He has never allowed me more than I can bear.

As I sit here writing, I cannot help but think of my dear friend, Amy, who is now free from all pain and rejoicing in her Savior's presence. She wrote a poem that I have taped to my wall where I can see it every day. I want to share it with you all, for it beautifully expresses the preciousness of the hope we've been given in way I could not:

There's substance that's casting these shadows
There's reason behind all this pain
All gold is made pure by refining
And plants cannot grow without rain

He's promised to hold you and keep you
He's told you that he's always there
His Word says He'll never forsake you
Or test you past what you can bear

So trust in Him all through this darkness
Hold fast to the truth of His Word
Be certain of His gracious promise
And rest in Christ Jesus our Lord

For one day all pain shall be broken
Renewed shall be joy that was lost
All death, pain and fear have been conquered
Because of His death on the cross

Earlier this week, another dear family in my church lost their husband and father. How my heart longs for the day when I will be able to see Amy and John once again, but in the meantime, their lives have challenged me to ask myself, do I truly know God? I want to know Him the way Amy and John did. They lived lives surrendered to their King because they were amazed at His mercy. Amazed that He would send His Son to die for them. They both could say with the apostle Paul, "for me to live is Christ and to die is gain" (Philippians 1:21). Death was gain to them because it meant they would be with Christ, and that is what their hearts longed for most. The wonderful thing is that if you don't know Christ as they did, both Amy and John would say "you can!" He delights to show His mercy and grace to all who call upon Him.

"Seek the LORD while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the LORD, that He may have compassion on him, and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon. - Isaiah 55:6-7

"I love the LORD, because He has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because He inclined His ear to me, therefore I will call on Him as long as I live. The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish. Then I called on the name of the LORD: 'O LORD, I pray, deliver my soul!'

Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; our God is merciful. The LORD preserves the simple; when I was brought low, He saved me. Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you." -Psalm 116:1-7

Thank you all for your prayers and offers to visit. I miss so many of you and look forward to the day when I can sit down with you and rejoice together in all He has done.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Charissa, I haven't seen you in years and we've only talked a couple of times, but I do want you to know that I am praying for you and your blog posts mean a lot to me. I love you and the way Jesus is clearly displayed through your life.

    I'm praying that He will bless you with peace.

    Abbi Sherer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you, Abbi! This means so much to me. I definitely need peace, and I believe God is answering your prayers. I love you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog