Thursday, January 6, 2011

Christmas Update 2010

Dear friends,

I know Christmas is past, but you are all so dear to me that I decided it was still worth writing. As many of you know, this past year has been one of great weakness and struggle due to my health, but it has also held many precious gifts. I am currently undergoing treatment for chronic Lyme disease while fighting to deal with the digestive issues and a multitude of other symptoms that it has produced. I am making steady progress, although it can be hard to discern from day to day.

Throughout the hardest moments I have been upheld and carried by your prayers and the faithfulness of my God who has never forsaken me. I know He will carry me through this valley. As He causes me to learn to lean harder upon Him, my prayer is that I would know Him better on the other side. A promise from Isaiah 42:16 has been a wonderful encouragement to me during this time – "And I will lead the blind in a way that they do not know, in paths that they have not known I will guide them. I will turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground. These are the things I do, and I do not forsake them." He has done this again and again. And I can trust Him to continue to do this with each new challenge that comes.

Some of the sweetest blessings that have come my way this past year center around family and friends. This past fall, Christin, a dear college friend, flew all the way from California to help care for me, make meals, read with me, and just be there. What a gift. It has been a blessing to continue to live at home with my family, even as the numbers in the household have begun to decrease a bit. This past May, David, one of my five younger brothers, graduated from UVA with a B.A. in International Relations and spent the summer at home. He recently moved back to Charlottesville, Virginia to take a civilian job with the military. I miss him! My two younger sisters, Tiffany and Laura, also moved out at the end of the summer and have been sharing an apartment nearby. The male-female ratio in the house has drastically changed in their absence, but it has been good having them nearby. Daniel still lives at home and continues to press on through his own health challenges. I've learned a lot from his perseverance. And at 17, Nathan continues to be sustained by God through his seizures and daily suffering. He is an amazing boy, a precious gift, and dearly loved.

At almost 13 and 15, my two youngest brothers, Robert and Michael, are growing up so quickly. They have become dear friends and have served me heroically during this season of weakness. God truly knew just how much my family would need them when he chose to give them to us. My parents have poured out a tremendous amount of time, energy, and resources in caring for me over the past year, as my ability to care for my needs decreased. It has been such a gift to have this care and to grow in my friendship with them.

On September 15th I had the privilege of becoming a first-time aunt to my precious little nephew, Aiden, who is now just over three months old. Laura has been working hard to care for him, and everyone looks forward to Aiden visits. This past November, Tiffany and Laura surprised me with letters and notes of encouragement from many of you on my 29th birthday. I have never received so much encouragement at one time and was completely overwhelmed by your care and the number and diversity of people who took the time to send words of hope to me. Thank you.

Everywhere I look there are a multitude of reasons to thank God for His faithfulness and never-failing mercies. One such way is that He has continued to provide for our family and for my medical bills in incredible ways, even as my dad has remained unemployed. It truly is amazing to see His provision and faithfulness to us.

And then there is each of you. You all have been so kind as always, to continue to be faithful friends to me despite my lack of response. Although, I am learning that I cannot promise to stay in touch the way I wish, I do hope that I will get to hear from and interact with many of you in the coming year. Either way, please know that you are dear to my heart, and I pray for you often. I want to leave you with a quote that has given me fresh encouragement as I consider a New Year. "If you need more strength you will have it, be sure of that…your business is with the present; leave the future in His hands who will be sure to do the best, the very best for you."

Thank you for caring for me. I am so honored to call you friends.

With much love,

Charissa

------------------------------------------------------------------

1Priscilla Maurice

2 comments:

  1. Charisa, I hope to see you back at Wheaton sometime soon! In the meantime, may God give you every kind of blessing —

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Charissa,

    What a joy it is to see your smiling face, and what an incredible encouragement it is to hear of your joy and faith as you continue to lean on the "everlasting arm." You are a breath of fresh air and a source of true encouragement to each person you meet.

    I am privileged beyond words to have had the opportunity to visit with you this summer; and I pray God's richest blessings on you in the coming days, weeks, months and years.

    Praise God for friendship and sisterhood b/c of His blood.

    Love you gir!
    Christin~

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog