Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What's Happening With Me

Many of you may have heard that I will be admitted to Georgetown hospital either today or tomorrow morning to begin TPN or Total Parenteral Nutrition. This is the next step in a health journey I've been on for the past several years. For those of you who don't know, in recent months I have been unable to gain any weight and have gradually continued to decline. Doctors are unsure of just why this is happening in my body, but several of them believe that Lyme Disease is the underlying cause of my multitude of GI issues. Because of my low weight and frail state, I have been unable to begin antibiotic treatment, and my doctors have decided that receiving TPN is the next step. The hope is that I will be able to put on some much-needed weight, gain nutrition, and then be able to tolerate treatment of the Lyme and other unwanted microorganisms that have taken up residence. At this point, we do not yet know how long I will be in the hospital and what it will all involve, but there is a possibility of continuing the treatment from home at some point.

Today, I go to my GI doctor who will then ask another doctor at Georgetown University Hospital to admit me. I will have a central port placed probably near the clavicle providing access for a direct line into my blood system. There is a risk of infection, especially due to my low white blood cell count, so this is definitely an area for prayer.


So, that's the medical side of things. You're probably wondering how I'm doing. The simplest answer I can give is that the Lord is truly my Shepherd. He is the One who is calling me to walk down this path, and although I don't know what lies ahead for me, I do know that I have a God who has promised to never leave nor forsake me. He is all-wise, all-good, and all-knowing, and He has sacrificed His very own Son for me. I can trust Him with each step ahead.


I am deeply grateful for each one of you, and if you are receiving this it is because at some point in my life your life has had an impact on my own. I hope that this time in my life is able to somehow encourage you as you walk through your own trials. Life is full of dark valleys, but they do not have to overwhelm us if we walk with the One who knows where He is taking us.


My family will be keeping this blog updated in the days ahead with prayer requests and progress updates. If you have any questions regarding visiting or anything else, please contact my parents at galbraithfamily@gmail.com.


Thank you all for caring. Each one of you means so much to me. I look forward to sharing with you in the days ahead all that God does through this time! It will be amazing to watch. I hope you can join me in expecting great things!


GOD, the Lord, is my strength; He makes my feet like the deer’s; He makes me tread on my high places. - Habakkuk 3:19

2 comments:

  1. Truly remarkable - You are not wasting this trial.
    We love you guys and pray for you daily. Jeff T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mr. T! Your prayers means so much and are felt.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog