Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Bunch of Updates

Hi friends,

Well, I just typed an update and lost it when the computer overheated. (My poor brother’s laptop has some issues, but he is so generous to lend it to me when I have a need.)

I know it’s been a while, so I thought I would just try to give summaries of the main health areas I’m currently focusing on:

Blood Clots – Praise report! I had another ultrasound of my left arm recently, and it appears that the clots have resolved. This was a surprise and huge answer to prayer! My hematologist doesn't want to take me off the blood thinner until he has determined that I’m not still at risk of further clots. I’m hopeful that this will be soon, as this is not a medication you want to be on any longer than necessary, and I’m nearing the 10 month mark.

Anemia – After three iron infusions, I began experiencing a level of dizziness and unsteadiness that was very difficult to live with, so I put the infusions on hold for a while. I will recheck my iron levels tomorrow and then we will decide how many more infusions I will need. I am hopeful it may be less than originally thought and that the symptoms will not return, but it is hard to predict at the moment.

Hydration – I have been ranging between 18-25 ounces of fluid each day, averaging about 20oz. This has been a difficult area to see progress, but I am so grateful to be line-free and to have avoided the ER since February.

Food – I will be meeting with my nutritionist next week to deal with a long list of things. Since I began seeing her last August, I have been able to implement about half of what she asked of me. A few of the things I have not yet had success with are tolerating meat and removing all sugar. I tried a small piece of white fish last week, and it didn't go so well. On the bright side, I have been daily taking in a flaxmilk/rice protein powder/walnut butter shake, boiled or steamed kale, hard-boiled farm eggs, and rice tortillas. I recently added gluten-free oatmeal. Sometimes I add in some nuts, and I've tried a few other things from time to time. After two years of no food or drink by mouth and five previous years of a very restricted diet, this is simply wonderful and amazing. I don’t ever want to take food for granted again. I’m so grateful I can swallow and taste food again. It still hurts and doesn't do what it’s supposed to do, but it’s still food. And I no longer have to worry about gaining weight as I've got it all back and more. (Strengthening is the main need now rather than weight.)

GI & Pain – I continue to deal with daily core pain and a host of symptoms of which I will spare you the details. It worsens with food but there really isn't any part of the day when I am not dealing with it - just better moments and worse moments. This is the main reason why I still use the crutch. I am still weak and unsteady, but the pain is the main reason I use it. I’m not sure how or when this issue will resolve. If you would like to pray for this area specifically, that would mean a lot. I feel like I could make a lot of progress if this area were to improve as it affects so many other things.

Another praise report – I made it through three days in a row without using my crutch before I had to revert back to it. I would love to increase this as I can, but it’s a hard one. I know it’s not an obstacle for God.
Last night, I was so determined to save the flowers in the backyard from the impending hard freeze that I managed to cover a third of them with buckets and boxes and staked-down-tarps by myself in the sleet, rain, and dark, all without my crutch. It was hard, but I just “had to do it.” Just over a year ago, I wasn't even able to sit up in bed or move across the room without help. I’m so grateful. This morning, the flowers were still alive (though somewhat flattened).

I cannot thank you all enough for all your prayers and the way you continue to cheer me on in this race. I would never have made it this far without it.

This week, as I think of all that Christ suffered for us on the cross, I am so grateful that He didn't stay there but was raised to life again for you and for me. I am alive today because of Him. And my hope for each day of the future is His resurrection power bringing life to what is broken.

May our faith increase as we think on what He is able to do in the days ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog