Thursday, November 28, 2013

Choosing Thanksgiving?


Will I choose to give thanks? Even when my heart is breaking? My life (and yours) may be filled with disappointment, unspeakable heartache, and physical pain and brokenness, but there is always reason to choose thanksgiving. Choosing thanksgiving is the path to survival.

To overcoming.
To pressing on through the bleakest of circumstances. 
To not. giving. up.

When I give thanks my heart remembers that despair is not my only friend, that goodness exists, that love is real, and that
there is always hope.


Choosing thanksgiving when loss, pain, confusion, brokenness, or deepest grief speak loudest in my heart is sacrificial. But the irony is that in doing so, in fighting and choosing to search out and embrace what is beautiful and good. To grasp onto those things and say, "thank you." I push back the darkness. Right here, right now, in this dark place the light is breaking in, and I find meaning, life, hope - all things which seemed lost just moments ago.

Giving thanks is not pretending that everything is okay or that the pain is good.
No.
Far from it.


It is a reaching down beneath all that mess and muck to discover that the Everlasting Arms are still the Everlasting Arms. That they are still there.

Firm.
Secure.

Not letting go.

And I give thanks because I am safe. Held. And that security comes to me as a gift. Something I could not buy. Not with all the money in the world. But it cost someone else a great price. Far more than I could ever pay. And because that someone else paid, I am headed toward a Day when all my pain will be eclipsed by glory.

There will be Life. In all its fullness.
Unbroken Joy. Forever
and ever
and ever
And for that I cannot help but give thanks.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog